Monday, July 28, 2014

Step by Step


Step by Step

He does not lead me year by year,
Nor even day by day,
But step by step my path unfolds,
My Lord directs my way.

Tomorrow’s plans I do not know,
I only know this minute;
But He will say, “This is the way,
By faith now walk ye in it.”

And I am glad that it is so;
Today’s enough to bear,
And when tomorrow comes, His grace
Shall far exceed its care.

What need to worry then, or fret?
The God who gave His Son
Holds all my moments in His hands,
And gives them one by one.

By Barbara C. Ryberg

I memorized this poem when I was young and wondering where life would take me.  I have quoted it many times since, both to myself and others.  I have even taught it to my girls.  But I am back there, back to quoting it often, especially just before falling asleep.
            Life has many twists, some difficult, some wonderful.  Though I see many wonderful things about my life right now and the steps God has led me through, right now I am facing one that is not quite so wonderful.  There are some unknowns in my life right now.
            I would like to say that I have trusted God through the whole process, that I have said I am glad I don’t know the future, that I can look at the future with trusting eyes.  But I would be lying if I said that.  I am struggling.  Sometimes we have to work through our doubts, our supposes.  We have to face our questions.  That’s where I am now.
            But step by step I am remembering that I can trust God.  I am remembering that if God loves me enough to give His Son for me, I can trust Him for the next step.  My Lord directs my way.

                                                                                    ~~Faith Himes Lamb

            

2 comments:

  1. Faith, I'm so grateful that some of your "steps" have collided with mine. You have spoken many truths, as the one above, into my life...and my "steps" are steadier because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your honesty. And thanks for sharing this lovely little poem. It's a good reminder for all of us!

    ReplyDelete