Monday, July 21, 2014

Refreshment

Coca-Cola® advertisers love the word “refreshing.”  Ice-cold, refreshing Coke®!  Ahhh!  I want some of that fizzy goodness right now!  Who doesn’t enjoy being refreshed?

Refresh means “to give new strength or energy to; reinvigorate” (Google dictionary).  It’s the opposite of being weary or depleted.  When tired, we refresh ourselves with rest.  When hungry or thirsty, we refresh ourselves with food and drink.  When mentally weary, we refresh ourselves with entertainment or a change of pace. 

In II Timothy 1, the Apostle Paul introduces us to an unknown character, Onesiphorus, who was the embodiment of refreshment.  Onesiphorus sought Paul on the streets of Rome until he found him – in a stinking jail cell.  We aren’t told what Onesiphorus did to refresh Paul, but Paul needed everything and was alone.  In those days, prisoners weren’t provided the basic necessities of life.  If you had food, water, clothing, a warm blanket, it was because someone on the outside provided it.  Presumably, Onesiphorus was that someone for Paul.

Paul’s burdens were obvious, but the people we know may carry unseen burdens.  In our prosperous culture, we have to be intentional if we are to discern the needs of others.  If we ask Him, God reveals ways we might give strength or encouragement to another.  Who is enduring a health crisis, a divorce, financial problems, mental difficulties?  Who has stress overload? 

Everyone struggles with life, and a kind act can provide relief. Refreshing others doesn’t have to be a production. I simply appreciate it when someone holds a door open for me or allows me to pull into traffic. 

People need to know we care – that they are on our minds and in our prayers.  The “gift of presence” lets others know they are worth our time.  The weary are refreshed by those who listen to them.

When our family was moving, the weather was oppressively hot, and I was overwhelmed.  A friend arrived with a basketful of supplies and scrubbed my house clean!  I was deeply refreshed. 

People say, “Call me if you need anything,” but I won’t.  I guess I’m too proud.    I think I’m not alone in this.

But what if we are the ones in need of refreshment?  Jesus says, 

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matthew 11:28-29)


His beauty, truth and goodness are balms for our aching souls.  Obeying Jesus helps us avoid unnecessary problems, and the things He requires of us – His yoke – is a much lighter burden than what we choose for ourselves.  He asks us to learn, listen, and align our lives with His commandments so that He can shape us into something beautifully refreshing.  It’s refreshment that’s more satisfying and long-lasting than any can of Coke®!

Joyce Hague

No comments:

Post a Comment