Monday, February 25, 2013

The Soundtrack of my Life

The Soundtrack of my Life
          Do you like to listen to movie soundtracks?  There are some I love, like The Sound of Music.  My Favorite Things is a favorite thing.  There are others where I love one particular song from the whole soundtrack.
          Someone challenged me to figure out what songs would make up the soundtrack of my life.  I have thought for a long time about this.  I think most of the songs in my soundtrack would be songs that have carried me through rough waters.
          There is Great Is Thy Faithfulness.   “Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth, Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide, Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, blessings all mine and ten thousand beside.”
          Then there were the days when my father was dying of Alzheimer’s and life seemed to get heavier and heavier.  Then a friend sent me the words to one of the lesser known stanzas of It Came Upon a Midnight Clear.  “And ye, beneath life’s crushing load, whose forms are bending low, who toil along the climbing way with painful steps and slow—Look now!  For glad and golden hours come swiftly on the wing.  O rest beside the weary road and hear the angels sing!”  There have been in the past and are now many days where I am bent low and toiling with painful steps and I must stop to hear the angels sing.
          When I was fearful and overwhelmed with uncertainty, the words of the Swedish hymn, Security, brought comfort.  “More secure is no one ever than the loved ones of the Savior, not yon star on high abiding or the bird in home nest hiding.  What He takes or what He gives us shows the Father’s love so precious.  We may trust His purpose wholly—Tis His children’s welfare solely.”
          In Day by Day I am reminded that “The protection of His child and treasure is a charge that on himself he laid.”  And I remember that I am His child and His treasure.
          If I were to choose a theme song for this soundtrack of my life, it would be Down from His Glory.  “Oh, how I love Him.  How I adore Him.  My breath, my sunshine, my all in all.  The great Redeemer became my Savior and all God’s fullness dwelleth in Him.”  This is my story, my song, my soundtrack.  I love the dear Lord Jesus.  I want that to be the theme of my soundtrack that others will hear.
                                                              ~~Faith Himes Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment