Sunday, August 12, 2012

Working Together


Some days I think I must have the greatest job in the world.  (Other days I question my own sanity! A topic for another time.) Consider this:  I get to show up every morning and talk about a subject I totally believe in to people I completely adore.  In addition to that, I work at a school where I’m not only allowed but encouraged to emphasize the sovereignty of God and his personal involvement in our lives.  Also—(Can you believe there’s more?)—on a fairly regular basis I get to see or hear from some of the people I’ve taught and find out how God is working in their lives.  It’s such a joy.

One of my former students is currently teaching at a school in the Philippines; one is planning activities at a nursing home; one is teaching English at Grace; another is teaching math. Several have gotten married in the last couple of years and, with their spouses, are making good biblical choices for their families. I could go on, but you get the picture. I am so proud of them!

When Dr. Euler talked to us about intercession on Sunday morning, my mind was just flooded with the many people I am privileged to know and pray for. Think of all the missionaries we know and whose joys and sorrows we get to share. We hear it often, but it is worth thinking of again. The work of the ministry has many facets, but we have a single goal.  Paul reminded the Ephesian church that “there is one body and one spirit . . . one Lord, one faith, one baptism.” (chapter 4)  “Men work together,” says Robert Frost, “whether they work together or apart.”

We may not get to go to Japan with Sarah Reese or walk the path in Togo with Bea Ward, but we can share in their work through prayer.  Don’t you love it?! When we build into the lives of others, our own ministry expands exponentially.

One of my particular joys this week was reading Diana Patrick’s blog. Yes, I got to teach her in both fourth grade and twelfth grade. How amazing is that?  She spent a large part of her summer in Philadelphia and tells some wonderful stories of her experience. You can read it and cry for yourself.  http://dianacpatrick.blogspot.com/

Keep working, praying, and sharing.  God is in it.
--Sherry Poff

No comments:

Post a Comment