Monday, August 20, 2012

FRIENDSHIP

(You are about to read the 100th post on the Cup of Grace blog! Help us to celebrate by leaving a comment below or on Facebook!)

FRIENDSHIP
Every morning for 940 days in a row, I have awakened to a verse on my phone....EVERY MORNING! No, it's not some auto verse or Joel Osteen dial-a-prayer system, it's an actual verse sent from an actual person - one who has discovered early on the power of God's Word.
At the beginning of my "journey" with Dan through cancer, my sweet, faithful friend Amy began sending me verses during the night. With the Home-going of her father several years ago, she knew my pain and despair. And some mornings when I had no strength to face the day, I would pick up my phone to a verse only God could have given her. It is amazing how many times the verse she sends covers the particular concern that is in my heart. Dan loved that she did that for us. It strengthened us in a way that's unfamiliar to those who have not been through a difficult time.
God used this very special gift, not only in my life, but others as well. She began a "text" ministry to several other cancer patients and in searching for the verses to send, she told me how much reading through the Scripture had encouraged her.
Sometimes we think that we just don't have what it takes to encourage someone in their time of need...but that little verse, pushing its way from her finger to my heart was and is a true gift. And during the wee hours of each morning, a little bell on my phone reminds me that someone is still praying for me and sending me the amazing power of God's Word.
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.....Hebrews 4:12

Joy Dilts

1 comment:

  1. You have a gift, Joy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete