Monday, May 7, 2012

IMMORTAL

"Ladies, you are immortal until your work is done," says 82-year old spunky, spirited Ruth Wagner, wife of Dr. Charles Wagner, who was my pastor during my teen years. I was blessed to spend this weekend at my home church in Covington, KY. Mrs. Wagner was the guest speaker at the 21st annual ladies' banquet. We feasted and filled our hungry bodies while our souls devoured the rich meat of God's Word.
As I watched a beautiful, classy, intelligent, witty woman relate to every generation through her stories of life while teaching us about finding joy in the midst of struggle, I was reminded of the beautiful, classy, intelligent, witty women that fill the pews at Grace Baptist Church, and I missed them. I wanted them to hear the words she was saying. I wanted them to know that the soft sea of gray that I see from the orchestra pit on Sunday mornings is not a mousy, dull gray needing to be colored with hues not its own, rather it is a glittering, tinsel gray that is full of sparkle and shine that little girls pay money to add to their golden locks!
I also got to kiss the soft, wrinkled cheeks of my grandma and grandpa this weekend. They surprised us Saturday afternoon and gifted me with a set of Grandma's china dishes. She said she wanted to "...do her giving while she was living..." My 88-year-old grandma's life on Earth is not over, and it won't be until her work is done!
Dear Silver-haired Generation of Grace Baptist Church, you are immortal until your work on Earth is done! Do your giving while you're living!

~Rebecca Phillips

1 comment:

  1. What a great thought---immortal until my work is done. I hope I remember this! Thanks for sharing. Come to think of it, we're immortal after that, as well. Eternity begins now!

    ReplyDelete