Thursday, December 29, 2011

The New Leaf


The New Leaf

            With the coming of the new year, my mind goes back over the last year, remembering both the good and the bad.  I must admit that I tend to dwell on my failures.  I remember the line of poetry written by Francis Thompson, “while memory runs like a hunted thing down paths it cannot retrace.”  I am sometimes haunted by the memories, finding it hard to sleep, hard to concentrate on other things. 
            But then I read Philippians 3:13 and 14 the other night and recalled that God does not want me focused on the past.  “This one thing I do, forgetting those things that are behind and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Jesus Christ.”  I do not want to be bound by the past.  I want to remember that I can have a fresh start, a new beginning, a new leaf.


The New Leaf
He came to my desk with quivering lip –
The lesson was done.
“Dear Teacher. I want a new leaf he said,
“I have spoiled this one.”
I took the old leaf, stained and blotted,
And gave him a new one, all unspotted,
And into his sad eyes smiled;
“Do better now, my child!”
I went to the Throne with a quivering soul –
The old year was gone.
“Dear Father, hast Thou a new leaf for me?”
“I have spoiled this one.”
He took the old leaf, stained and blotted
And into my sad heart smiled:
“Do better now, my child!”
~~Faith Lamb

2 comments:

  1. Awesome word Faith! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know what you mean. That's such an apt line from Thompson. Your words are a comfort. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete