Monday, November 14, 2011

The Beauty of Holiness

Well, friends--I'm about funeraled out! I know that's not a word, but I'll bet you know what I mean. It's heartbreaking to see people we've known and loved for years weaken and die. I was standing behind Amy Smith in the line at the funeral home on Friday, and she noted, "Our church has been here way too much recently." Yes.

But while it is heartbreaking, there's sweetness to be found. The mere fact of a long line of people coming to express sympathy is sweet. The way the gentlemen at the funeral home open the door and point people in the right direction is sweet. The hugs, the smiles through tears, the precious notes---God gives sweetness in the midst of sorrow.

I was particularly struck by the flowers at our two most recent funerals. On Carol's casket as well as Dan's, the flowers were stunning! They were just a profusion of color: red, purple, yellow, pink, in settings of emerald green. Flowers really do bring comfort. I remember the ones so many people sent for my own mother's funeral. I so loved looking at each one and appreciating their sheer beauty, beauty that reflects the loveliness of God himself.

As I have been out and about this last month, I have just been amazed by the gorgeous leaves. I can hardly keep my eyes on the road. I find myself praising God for his love and goodness in giving us so much pleasure in life. All the goodness in the world is an expression of the person of God. James 1:17 tells us that every "good and perfect gift is from above." Psalms 96 says, "Honor and majesty are before him: strength and beauty are in his sanctuary." We are told to "worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness."

I hope we get a respite from funerals for a while, but regardless of what happens, I am so thankful for the way God keeps showing himself. It is as the poet Hopkins says, "He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change. Praise Him!"

--Sherry Poff

No comments:

Post a Comment