Monday, October 10, 2011

A Joy Forever

In his long poem "Endymion," John Keats declares, "A thing of beauty is a joy forever." He goes on to show that once we have enjoyed something lovely, when we encounter it again, it carries with it not only its intrinsic beauty but also the beauty of the moment we first experienced it. We know this is true. Think about the power of music, especially, to take you back to a particular place and time.

Several weeks ago, someone (I am sorry I forget who it was) sang a beautiful song that asks, "What if your blessings come through raindrops? What if healing comes through tears?" Immediately I was transported back to a July night in Africa--the time I first heard this song--driving down a dark, bumpy road, three close friends also listening and sharing the moment. I'm sure we all were thinking of our own separate sleepless nights and tears, but we shared the truth that God is in control. Together we rejoiced that He has a plan bigger than we can understand. When I heard the song in church at Grace, I felt again the assurance of that night in Togo, and it reminded me to pray for my friends.

This past Sunday morning, we sang one of my favorites: "Blessed Be Your Name." This song describes times of sunshine and blessing as well as days in a "desert place." Whenever I hear this song, I remember a Sunday in May over two years ago when we sang it. On that day,  I looked across the auditorium at Rebecca Phillips, who had endured a tragic loss, and thought about what she might be thinking as we sang,

Every blessing you pour out
I'll turn back to praise.
When the darkness closes in, Lord,
Still I will say,
Blessed be the name of the Lord,
Blessed be your name.

I can never sing this song now without thinking of her, and it reminds me to pray for friends who are grieving.

Life is not easy, but it's sweet. I am grateful for the many ways God speaks, and particularly grateful today for music that helps me remember.

--Sherry Poff

1 comment: