Monday, June 13, 2011

A Good Name

Because of my job, I suppose, I get asked to write a lot of recommendation letters. I don't mind doing it; I rather enjoy bragging on people I love, and writing the letters gives me a good opportunity to reflect on what is right and wonderful about them. The problem arises when I know the person isn't a hard worker or hasn't really tried to improve. There have been times when I've handed a sealed envelope to a young person with the admonition, "Now don't you make a liar out of me!" My name is precious to me; I don't want to ruin my reputation, and I sure don't want someone else dragging my name down into the mud with them.

We are told in Proverbs 22 that "a good name is to be chosen rather than great riches." Paul instructed the Thessalonians to "abstain from all appearance of evil" (I Thess. 5:22), and he reminded the Ephesian Christians to "walk worthy of the calling" with which they had been called (Eph. 4:1).

People are watching. This fact has been demonstrated to me on more than one occasion. I have what some consider an odd practice of eating a whole apple, including the core. (My sister does this too and told me that we got it from our dad.) One day several years ago one of the fourth-grade boys I was then teaching approached me during our morning break. "Why do you eat apple cores?" I had never discussed my apple-eating practices with this child; he had just seen me do it.

Now that I teach high school, it is fairly common for a student to remark, "I saw you at Chili's last night," or "I was driving behind you on the way to school." These are reminders to me to always behave myself. The last thing I want to do is to bring reproach on the name of Christ, to cause some young person to throw out everything I've told him or her because of my carelessness or bad choices.

"Mrs. Poff watches this," or "Sherry Poff says it's good" should be a trustworthy recommendation. I want you to know that's my prayer and goal. If you'll pray for me, my friends, I will pray for you.

--Sherry Poff

3 comments:

  1. I will pray for you and please pray for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, I am reminded often, as well, that my name is attached to many things. I want my name to be attached to great things with eternal value! Thank you for remembering my name in prayer, I will lift up your name in mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a good reminder. We carry the name of Jesus. We must behave that way.

    ReplyDelete