Monday, October 25, 2010

How Rich and Pure

The weather this past week has been gorgeous. I know, I know! It's been unusually warm for October, and we could use some rain. But I was out of school for a week and completely enjoyed being able to sit outside to read and mark papers. I delighted in afternoon strolls to look at the leaves and late flowers. There are still some little yellow butterflies that flit around the morning glories on my back fence. (Cloudless Sulfur, they're called). I even picked a few late tomatoes--so sweet this time of year.

On Sunday morning when Holly and Kevin played "The Love of God" so beautifully, I opened the hymnal to read along. The third verse says this: Could we with ink the ocean fill and were the skies of parchment made, were every stalk on earth a quill and every man a scribe by trade, to write the love of God above would drain the ocean dry; nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky. (Frederick M. Lehman)

I pictured that blue, blue sky I've enjoyed this week. In my mind, one of the tall trees became the quill that the song speaks of (not exactly a stalk, but that's what came to mind anyway). I remembered the ocean that I enjoyed with my family back in May. It's so vast, so incredibly enormous, that to imagine it being ink and then running dry before the love of God could be explained boggles the mind.
I realize that the words to this song are not on the level of scripture, but they do speak a truth. John said it this way: "There are many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written." (21:25)

God's love was made flesh when Jesus walked the earth, and he reveals his love and beauty to us every day in the sunshine, the rain, and the moonlight. Praise him!

--Sherry Poff

1 comment:

  1. I am a visual person - so I am glad our awesome God painted our world in such brilliant colors. It too is a picture of His love for us in each season of our life. It is a comfort to me. "I know that everything God does will remain forever; there is nothing to add to it and there is nothing to take from it, for God has so worked that men should fear Him." Ecclesiates 4:14 "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

    ReplyDelete