Sunday, February 18, 2024

Mom

         The timing for it being my turn to post on Cup of Grace coincides with a major life event in our family: Friday my mom went to be with Jesus. She was ready to go, and while we were singing “Praise Him! Praise Him!” in church this morning, I was thinking what an amazing worship experience she must be having at that very moment. Every Sunday gathering of Earth’s Christians is a celebration of Christ’s resurrection, so can you imagine how adoration’s joy must soar beyond words when Heaven’s redeemed gaze on His dear face? May the Father soon send His Son, that we may know that unbounded joy together forever!
        It seems appropriate for this week’s blog that I should post a few poems regarding my mom. The first one I wrote to her as a Mother’s Day gift in 2016. The second one I wrote in 2019, on what would have been my dad’s 74th birthday. The last one I wrote just a couple weeks ago, when I was with my mom in the ICU – the night we knew her homegoing was imminent. May the truths contained in a few rhyming lines reach out and grab our souls, encouraging each of us to press on in our own race. Mom once told me, “Live every day like it’s your last. One day it will be.” Her last day was February 16, 2024. I don’t know when mine will be, but I pray that I will honor God all the way through, until I, too, see His face. Jesus is worth everything.
          -MaryBeth Hall  

          

Dawn

 “Her children arise up, and call her blessed…” – Prov. 31:28
 
I stepped outside the eighth of May
To cut some flowers for Mothers’ Day,
But stopped on steps and looked about,
For morning did its message shout.
 
The secrets of the clear bright dawn
Sang out to me a mother’s song,
And truths that I saw pictured there
I now write down with you to share.
 
As newly risen sun did shine
On all its pale orange rays did find,
I thought of tender smiles I’ve seen
From my mom, that gave light to me.
 
I heard the varied songs of birds
Who praise their Maker without words.
My mom’s sweet songs still fill my heart,
For she often sang as she moved about.
 
I saw the trees stand tall and straight.
I’ve seen them stay the same; it’s great
To know my mom still steady is
Through all life’s changes of that and this.
 
I felt the gentle breeze of spring
The refreshing coolness that it brings,
Like sweet encouragement to press on
That mom has brought when night was long.
 
I saw and smelled the flowers rare;
A delicate beauty beyond compare
Can only be likened to the touch and sight
Of Mama: when she’s near, all’s right.
 
I had to smile, for then I heard
A rooster calling to his world.
I thought of my mom waking us
Day after day, despite our fuss!
 
Last I wandered to the creek;
I expected busy bubbling to meet,
But in stillness it mirrored the trees above,
As my mom reflects the God she loves.
 
My mom would say she’s not so good,
But I say, she’s done all she could
To live for God and family,
To obey His Word so faithfully.
 
And if one day when my daughters are grown
These truths to them I will have shown
As “Mama” I will successful be.
The secret’s this: Jesus in me.
 
I send these words across the miles
To you, Mom, via e-mail files,
And all my love and hugs come, too.
Thank you for all you are and do!
 
 


 
The Rich Kids
 
“We will not hide them from their children,
telling to the generation to come the praises of the LORD,
and His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.
And that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures…
Therefore I love Your commandments more than gold, yes, than fine gold!
The law of Your mouth is better to me than thousands of coins
of gold and silver.” (Ps 78:4, II Tim. 3:15a, 119:127,72)
 
 
A-jingle and a-jangle, daily coins are spent,
As they turn into dollars of years.
We wonder what we did, and where the time went,
But the treasure of a lifetime outlives smiles and tears.
 
Just who are the rich kids in this crazy world?
Who are the ones possessing treasure unfurled?
What can I do to give true wealth to my kids –
Wealth that will steady them when life goes into skids?
 
I think back to my childhood; what really stands out?
It wasn’t a home where money ruled the day,
For my parents saw eternal things that never fade away.
They put a thirst for God in us that will always stay.
 
It wasn’t a home where they hurried away,
To escape little kids when “crazy” held sway.
We weren’t “in the way;” we were valued and loved,
And that freedom from fear was a gift from above.
 
God and His Word flowed in and out of our words
As easily and powerfully as the mightiest of swords.
His Truth was the Boss, Blessing, and Breath
Of an unfading Glory that conquers even death.
 
That is the wealth I desire to give
To my own children for as long as they live.
It steadies a soul as nothing else can,
For this is the wisdom of God’s holy plan.
 
Mom and Dad, thank you, for all you are and did:
A happy childhood and foundation for adulthood
Are worth more than gold to your five kids.
You gave us the best, and we’re so glad you did!
 
A-jingle and a-jangle, daily coins are spent,
As they turn into dollars of years.
We wonder what we did, and where the time went,
But the treasure of a lifetime outlives smiles and tears.
 
 
 

 
The Valley’s Edge
 
 Psalm 23:4
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me..."
 
I stand at valley's edge tonight
With loved one's hand in mine,
And know that though, try as I might,
To let go it is almost time.
 
Memories of days now past
Like whispers kiss my soul.
Truths we lived this life outlast;
They'll see you to your goal.
 
The Spirit, Son, and Father
Will change your faith to sight,
And He can never falter
Who carries you to Light.

At valley's edge we'll watch you go,
And we will trust Him, too;
You taught us how to love and know
The God Who means so much to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment