Sunday, December 17, 2023

Endurance

 

“Endure” is defined as to suffer patiently; to remain in existence or to last.

God’s people give Him glory when we endure wrong, remain faithful in persecution, or, as in Job’s case, simply trust and praise God in the midst of suffering.

In Revelation, chapters 2 and 3, Christ speaks to His churches, praising most of them for patient endurance, faith, service, faithfulness against spiritual darkness and not denying His name.

To each church, He promises rewards to those who endure, to “the one who conquers.” The criticisms and warnings could apply to any believers anywhere; the rewards could apply to any believers anywhere. If we collect all the promised rewards into a single list, the gifts in store for us are thrilling beyond comprehension!

“To those who conquer” --

I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

I will give you life as your victor’s crown.

The one who is victorious will not be hurt by the second death.

I will give some of the hidden manna and a white stone with a new name written on the stone.

I will give authority over the nations.

I will give that one the morning star (which is the final name by which He calls Himself at the end of Revelation).

The one who is victorious will be clothed in white garments and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels.

Since you have kept my command to endure patiently, I will also keep you from the hour of trial that is going to come on the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth.

I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God and I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem and my own new name.

I will grant him to sit with me on my throne.

We are happy to know that He has purchased for us eternal life. These promises are a part of His description of that life! Can you imagine?? (A rhetorical question – the answer is “no”!)

The physical/mental sufferings of this life are a spiritual battle, as demonstrated by Job’s life. The sufferings of faithfulness to God’s Word are a spiritual battle. Jesus told us of His planned gifts so we would be encouraged to endure. And who gives us the ability to do that? Romans 8:35-37, “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: ‘For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.’ No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.”

--Lynda Shenefield

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment