Sunday, November 12, 2023

Help Thanks Wow

Occasionally I pick up a book that I know I am not going to agree with on theological issues, but that has intrigued me on some level.  Here is an example.  The title is Help Thanks Wow.  The subtitle is The Three Essential Prayers.  The dust jacket says these three prayers are asking for assistance, appreciating the good we witness, and feeling awe at the world.

 

So the first is Help.  Looking at Scripture, asking for help is definitely part of prayer.

 

Philippians 4:6, Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

 

Matthew 6:11, Give us this day our daily bread.

 

James 1:5, But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

 

So we say Help.

 

The second word is Thanks.

 

I Thessalonians 5:18, In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

 

Ephesians 1:16, I do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my prayers.

 

Ephesians 5:20, Always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father.

 

Psalm 92:1, It is good to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Thy name, O Most High.

 

I think this second word, Thanks, is the most difficult of the three because we are told to give thanks for everything.  I can give thanks for most things, but some things are difficult to be thankful for.

 

This third word, Wow, I think primarily should be used for God Himself, but also for the works of His creation, which cause us to praise Him. We have an awesome God. 

 

I Chronicles 29:11-13, Thine, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, indeed everything that is in the heavens and the earth:  Thine is the dominion, O Lord, and Thou dost exalt Thyself as head over all. Both riches and honor come from Thee, and Thou dost rule over all, and in Thy hand is power and might; and it lies in Thy hand to make great and to strengthen everyone.  Now therefore, our God, we thank ‘Thee, and praise Thy glorious name.

 

Psalm 66:1, 2 and 5, Shout joyfully to God, all the earth; Sing the glory of His name; Make His praise glorious.  Come and see the works of God, Who is awesome in His deeds toward the sons of men.

 

Stand in awe with me.  Wow!

 

So here are my thoughts on Help, Thanks, and Wow.  I have meditated less on Wow than on the other two.  May I learn to include all three in my prayers.

 

 

~~Faith Himes Lamb

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment