Sunday, June 18, 2023

Ephesus: The Faithful Forgetters

           Around sixty years after He returned to heaven, Jesus sent messages to seven churches in the country of Turkey. His letters to them have long fascinated me; they are succinct, but rich in depth and application. What would He say to Grace Baptist Church if He were to send us a letter? What would He say to me?
          Recently, I had the idea to write a series of poems about what He wrote to the seven churches for my poetry blog. So, it happens that my turn today to write for Cup of Grace coincides with posting the Ephesus poem to my personal blog.
          May we each take time to sit before Him this week, pondering His words from two millennia ago that are still so vital in 2023. May our hearts reply, whether in whisper or in shout, “Yes, Lord, I love You!”
 
 – MaryBeth Hall
 
 

Ephesus: The Faithful Forgetters
Revelation 2:1-7
 
Years of faithful serving
And patient laboring,
Truth affirming,
Evil hating –
Yet their light was flickering.
 
What threatened to their lamp extinguish?
Christ said they had their love relinquished.
Perhaps loss started undistinguished
As cynicism of experience
Stole joy, but led to rebuke’s anguish.
 
Christ’s words hurt, but they could heal;
He saw inside all that was real
Past duty’s persevering steel
To love that had become congealed.
He said “Remember, repent” in zeal.
 
Your eyes look even where I dwell:
I’ve served You long, and perhaps well,
But Father, Savior, Spirit, tell
What is inside – does love for You make my heart swell
Ardently unparalleled?
 
Oh, may it ever, ever be
That love for Jesus inside me
Is living, vibrant, flowing free
Back to the One Who died for me!
His love gave all at Calvary.

No comments:

Post a Comment