Sunday, May 21, 2023

The Joy of the Lord

 There’s an old song that goes like this:

 

“The windows of Heaven are open. The blessings are falling tonight.

 There’s joy, joy, joy in my heart since Jesus made everything right.

I gave Him my old, tattered garments. He gave me a robe of pure white!

I’m feasting on manna from Heaven and that’s why I’m happy tonight!” 

(author unknown)

 

I pulled this song out of the recesses of my brain one evening while driving home. I was bone tired from working all day, and I had a full evening of babysitting ahead of me. Those who have dealt with toddlers know that as enjoyable as they can be, they suck all the energy out of your being, especially if you are a person of a certain age. And I did not have any energy left. Like I said, bone tired. I wondered how I would make it through the rest of what was left of my day. 

Then, the Spirit of God reminded me that the joy of the LORD could be my strength, so I began to think of songs I knew related to that. This one came to mind, so I began to sing. Then came, “I have the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart!” and “The joy of the LORD is my strength.” I sang all the way home and asked God to give me the strength I needed. I cannot say that I was physically resurrected, but my spirit was lighter, my attitude was more cheerful, and I had the necessary strength to do what needed to be done. 

The Apostle Paul said, “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”

(I Thessalonians 5:16-18) Joy, prayer, and gratitude work together. It’s God’s will for us! Thanksgiving is every day, not just a day in November. 

I want to be known as a joyful person and to have the strength the joy of the LORD brings. (After all, my name suggests it.) Don’t you?

 

joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment