Sunday, February 12, 2023

Don't Be Selfish

 


I remember when I was a young adult thinking about who I wanted to be. I was developing an image of myself I wanted to project to others. I wanted to “find myself” - to figure out my likes, dislikes, and personality traits and then express those in various ways. There is nothing inherently wrong with doing this until a person tries to grab the wheel and reject what God has created him or her to be or tries to bring more glory to themselves than to God. I have noticed a temptation to do this on social media. Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms are opportunities to brag and cast one’s image like never before. I know some people who even brag about acts of service. There are ways to talk about serving the Lord that brings Him glory or requests prayer and support, but sometimes you can tell it is for their own glory. Maybe they need accolades or attention? And yes, they get it.
 

Social media outlets are successful, because we all have a desire to be known and to be known in a particular way. This becomes a problem when these images created in our own minds control us in unholy ways. When we begin to put our hobbies, style, way of life ahead of what God has called us to do – loving and serving others – it can become idolatry. Our relationship with God and people begins to take last place while we become consumed with becoming our own gods. 

What would you say is your greatest sin? Can I share mine? It is selfishness. I want what I want when I want it. And it is not pleasant doing something I do not want to do, especially if there is no reward in it for me. I have actually asked God to help me get out of acts of service I did not want to do. Yes, even worthwhile tasks! Sometimes my attitude stinks! I have served begrudgingly at times. These works become the clanging cymbal mentioned in I Corinthians 13, because I lack love while doing them. Serving God and others might get in the way of me being able to put forth my preferred image. I might not have the time or money to participate in a favorite activity if I put others first. 

In her book, “Fasting and Feasting, 40 Devotions to Satisfy the Hungry Heart” Erin Davis says this: “The Christian life is and always will be a life of self-sacrifice. Fasting is like free-weights exercise that builds our muscles of self-denial. We resist our natural craving for food; we temporarily reject the pull of full bellies; we lay down self and pick up suffering. Every time we do reps, we see again that self -denial in the name of Jesus always comes with blessings.” 

Here is an exercise for overcoming selfishness. I need this. How about you? 

joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment