Sunday, January 15, 2023

God Sightings

 

Some of you will recall that we used to sometimes have services where we reported our “God sightings.” These were sweet testimony sessions of how we had seen God at work in our personal lives—such precious times of learning about one another and of praising God. So here are two of my recent God sightings.

Earlier this month, I had the privilege of talking to our Upper School students about how we can honor God by caring for the world he gave us and by recognizing his hand in the things he made. Clearly, the world we live in is not intended to last forever, but it is a very beautiful world. When we take time to notice, we can see incredible detail and beauty in God’s design. As I write, I can see cardinals, titmice, and chickadees around the feeder in my maple tree. Have you ever looked carefully at a bird feather? Next time you see one lying on the ground, take time to pick it up and examine the intricate detail. You will be amazed. Just do a google search on feathers, and you will find more information than you might have imagined. (You have to sift carefully to get past the evolutionary propaganda, but the evidence for God’s magnificent handwork is all there). This is just one aspect of the world that inspires praise for our wise creator. I was pleased when one or two students told me they were encouraged to see things differently after my encouragement.

I sat recently in the lobby at church, enjoying sunshine and the sweet fellowship of other women, grateful for the good people of Chattanooga who have opened their doors to the Grace community. Yes, we want to be back on our own corner, but aren’t we just wowed by the folks who have been so good to us? Friends, it’s really God’s goodness we are experiencing, his love and grace and beauty. He is the reason and his love is the force behind all good things we see and experience. Those of us who work at the Academy were blessed to have our breakfast provided by the staff at Morris Hill Baptist Church recently. One of the pastors there expressed sympathy with us for our longing to be in our own space, but he emphasized that they are not eager to see us leave. And then he made this wonderful statement: “There is no time limit on loving your neighbor as yourself.” There was an audible response in the room as we felt the grace of God in his words.

Last month, I asked you to look for evidence of God’s “visitation” here on Earth. I have mentioned just a couple. What stories do you have? If you’d like to share some God sightings with me, I’d love to put them together for others to read about here on Cup of Grace. The first chapter of Romans indicates that we are strengthened and encouraged when we share our experiences with others (“. . . that I may be encouraged together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me”—verse 13). See me at church or send an email. I am listed in the directory.

--Sherry Poff

 

No comments:

Post a Comment