Sunday, September 11, 2022

God's Subtle Reminder

 

Music has always been a significant part of my life and whenever I am discouraged, music and Scripture are usually my strong source of comfort and encouragement.  Songs like “He Giveth More Grace,” “All Your Anxiety,” and “His Eye Is on the Sparrow” are just a few.  If you’re not familiar with the lyrics, look them up.  All are based on Scripture and are a great reminder of who God is.

Father’s Day weekend has been a very difficult weekend for me for the last 12 years.  I “lost” my husband the day after Father’s Day on June 21, 2010.  Let me rephrase that. God called my husband home.  His job on earth was complete and it was time for him to meet his Heavenly Father face to face.  Oh, what a blessing!  Oh, what joy—no more sorrow, no more pain!  On Father’s Day weekend this year, I was wallowing in self-pity being reminded of the significance of the holiday, and I received a phone call from my sister informing me that Dad’s time on earth was coming to a end.  His doctor had placed him under hospice care and it was just a matter of time.  Did I mention he was 99 and had served God faithfully for over 80+ years?  He was no longer able to care for himself in any capacity, had limited hearing and sight, slept most of the time, had no friends.  Basically he had no life here on earth.  So why was I again wallowing in self-pity?  Dad was ready to meet his Heavenly Father and what a blessing that is for every child of God.

I mentioned earlier how music has played a significant role in my life.  God used music that weekend to really show me who He is.  After talking to my sister on Saturday, I had to run to the grocery store.  On the way I was listening to Southern Gospel music and the Triumphant Quartet sang “The Goodness of God” and I was reminded that God is in every aspect of our lives, even the hard times.  Sunday morning as I was driving to church, again “The Goodness of God” came on the radio.  As we were singing in the service, Fred had chosen the song, “The Goodness of God.” Need I say that tears were flowing by this time as I was reminded of the goodness of God once again?  Pastor Love’s message and Amy O’Rear’s lesson reinforced the fact that when our focus is on God and who he is, we find joy even in the difficult times. 

Later that afternoon and evening, I was watching a video of the church service where my son serves as Youth Pastor.  They were honoring their graduates, and they were also honoring him for ten years of faithful service.  In his “speech” he mentioned his dad and yes, the tears began to flow once again.  Not tears of sorrow as much as tears of pride and wishing Jim could see how God was using Nathaniel to meet the needs of teens and encouraging them to stay faithful to the Lord as they go out into a godless world. Can you even guess what the next song in their service was?  “The Goodness of God.”  That night I went to bed with a full heart.  God had truly shown me his faithfulness.  The next morning when I awoke, the first words that went through my mind were the words of the chorus: “All my life you have been faithful.  All my life you have been so, so good.”  I am so thankful today for a God who is faithful and good even when we fail Him, He never fails us. 

I’d like to leave a couple references that help to remind us of the goodness of God.

II Tim. 2:13, I Cor. 10:13, I John 1:9, and II Thess. 3:3

The Goodness of God

I love You, Lord, For Your mercy never failed me.

All my days, I've been held in Your hands

From the moment that I wake up

Until I lay my head.

Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God

 

And all my life You have been faithful

And all my life You have been so, so good

With every breath that I am able

Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God

 

I love Your voice

You have led me through the fire

And in the darkest night You are close like no other

I've known You as a Father

I've known You as a Friend

And I have lived in the goodness of God!

 

'Cause Your goodness is running after, it's running after me

With my life laid down, I'm surrendered now

I give You everything

'Cause Your goodness is running after, it's running after me, oh-oh

 

And all my life You have been faithful

And all my life You have been so, so good

With every breath that I am able

Oh, I'm gonna sing of the goodness of God

Oh, I'm gonna sing of the goodness of God

 

God is so good.  God is so good. God is so good, He’s so good to me.

 --Bonnie King

No comments:

Post a Comment