Sunday, May 22, 2022

Satisfied

 

Recently, I listened to the testimony of Christopher Yuan, a former Moody Bible Institute professor who was delivered from the gay lifestyle and drug scene. His story of deliverance is amazing (it is on YouTube if you want to listen to it), but what really stood out to me was the persistence of his mother in prayer and fasting. For seven years she fasted and prayed for him every Monday and one time fasted on his behalf for thirty-nine days. Thirty-nine! I feel deprived if I fast to have blood drawn! I confess that sometimes food is a little too important to me. Fasting is a spiritual discipline I have never pursued. Mr. Yuan said when people ask him how they can best help unbelievers, he tells them to fast and pray.  He said it is the most powerful thing we can do. Justdisciple.com says to fast is to “…forfeit food out of hunger for God…At its best, Christian fasting is simply a heartfelt, body felt exclamation point at the end of the sentence ‘I love you, God. I need you more than I need food and drink, more than I need my life.’” Now there’s something to ponder. 

If you are interested in fasting, I have expanded on some tips from the Just Disciple website to get you started: 

Eat light a couple of days ahead of time.

Read and meditate on Scripture and pray when you would be eating – it will be your food (I tried this, and it really helped). This is a good time to pray Scripture. You could also reflect on other spiritual writings.

Journal what you are feeling and experiencing. Write out some of your prayers. Imagine yourself entering God’s Throne Room and talking with Him face to face.

Drink lots of water. Add some Apple Cider Vinegar.

Ask God to help when you are tempted to give up.

Disconnect from people and technology.

Enjoy some light exercise like a stroll in nature. Sit quietly at a scenic overlook. Dig your tootsies into some sand at the beach.

Think positive thoughts. Meditate on something you feel God has been teaching you.

Have a reason for fasting and focus on and pray about that. Is there a stronghold in your life that needs to be broken? Is there a burden you are carrying for someone else? Are you having relationship problems with your mate, children, or coworkers? Ask God for wisdom! He has promised to give us wisdom and guidance.

List your blessings and give thanks.

Consider different types of fasting other than food. Some examples might be abstaining from social media, desserts, technology, or soft drinks (broccoli lol). You might want to fast from something that you feel has become too important in your life like sports or hobbies. If you work too much, it might be time to take a vacation day.

Set a time limit. It might be only 6, 12, or 24 hours. A short fast is not insignificant.

Jesus tells us to fast secretly. We do not do it to look spiritual before others.

 Imagine being satisfied in God alone. This is something no one could ever take away from you. No one. What does that feel like? What does it mean? I cannot answer this because this is all new to me. But I am intrigued. What about you? Maybe you have done this for years. If so, I would love to hear all about it!

 Going deeper with God.

 joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment