Sunday, February 6, 2022

Mercy

 


https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1586700347p8/947.jpgThere he is! William himself...Shakespeare, that is. Oh, how I enjoyed teaching his works, having my students in high school learn to appreciate literature they would never read unless “urged” to do so!

 Recently in our Bible study group, we were discussing the subject of “MERCY.” One of my friends spoke up and said that in high school she had read something about “The quality of mercy is not strained...” Oh, yes, I knew that quote! One of the best thoughts of many from Shakespeare and this from THE MERCHANT OF VENICE:

 The quality of mercy is not strained;

It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest.
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes:
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown:
His sceptre shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty,
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings;
But mercy is above this sceptred sway;
It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings.
It is an attribute to God himself;
And earthly power doth then show likest God's
When mercy seasons justice...

 I hope you will read those lines carefully. God is the author of mercy. But even kings can reflect this godly quality when mercy softens their justice. I feel the only way we can truly show mercy is to remember God’s mercy to us.

 I love that word MERCY...What is it? There are many ways to define the word. “Mercy is forgiving the sinner and withholding the punishment that is justly deserved.” “Compassion shown to an offender who deserves judgment.” “Not getting the punishment we deserve.”  “One who has mercy responds to those who cannot help themselves. Mercy responds to someone in serious need.”

 In my meditations in Psalms that I did the last couple of years, my thoughts from Psalm 13 include this fabulous word “MERCY.”

 Way back in April, 2020, I read vs. 1: “How long will you forget me, O Lord? How long will you hide your face from me?” Have you felt that way over the past couple of years? Will we ever see the end of this “virus” and the stresses that have come on our dear America?

 Vs. 2: “How long...How long...?” “Every day my heart is full of sorrow.”

Vs. 3: The Psalmist pleads with the Lord: “Consider and hear me...” “Lighten my eyes (give clear direction). I don’t want to die.”

 Vs. 4: “My enemy will gloat that he has had the victory.”

 NOW VS. 5...”BUT I have trusted in Your MERCY “that droppeth as the gentle rain from Heaven”...that God-quality that withholds deserved punishment, that God-quality that shows compassion on the offender, that God-quality that responds to those who cannot help themselves...” I remembered how many times, Lord, you have cared for me and then...

Vs. 5b. “My heart rejoices in Your salvation.” Not just salvation for my soul, but salvation for my mind from worry, salvation for my body from danger.

Guess what? Psalm 13 goes from Vs. 1: “How long will you forget me, Lord?” to Vs. 6: “I WILL SING unto the Lord” Wow! He has been so merciful...more than I deserve. 

Shakespeare reminds us that MERCY “blesseth him that gives and him that takes.”  Can I show this same mercy, compassion, to others when they are discouraged and even seem hopeless or even deserving of punishment? This is my prayer! “Give me eyes to see those who need my mercy to show them Your mercy, Lord!”

 --Maylou Holladay

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment