Sunday, October 24, 2021

Calm in the Midst of a Raging River


On a recent weekend, I had the privilege of being in Pigeon Forge. This is my annual trip to attend the National Quartet Convention and then have a few days just to myself.  This area is my happy place.  I have many fond memories of our family vacations and times that Jim and I came down to Tennessee to see our daughter at Tennessee Temple and visit our property up on Fredonia Mountain, always with a stop in Pigeon Forge.

One of my favorite adventures has always been to drive to Cades Cove and observe the beauty of God’s Creation as well as look for or hike to waterfalls.  My hope was to also see a bear in its natural habitat.  My weekend was almost totally successful although I would have needed a high-powered lens to see the bear and its cub.  But that’s a story for another time.

As I was driving to Cades Cove, listening to a CD of Stan Whitmire on the piano, watching the water flow in the river and observing the start of the changing of leaves, my mind went back to Psalm 23. This Psalm became very real to me during the months of caring for my late husband, Jim. I had memorized it as a child and repeated it many times to my students, but certain portions became very real as I sat by Jim’s hospital bed watching him struggle.

“He maketh me to lie down in green pastures” – God provides a time for rest.  As I made the drive, I would stop from time to time to just get out of the car and take some pictures of the water, leaves, and beautiful landscapes.  A time for rest from the drive, a time for rest to reflect on God’s Creation, a time to rest and be thankful for a God who giveth more grace. 

“He leadeth me beside the still waters” – As I was watching the water flow in the Little Pigeon River, I noticed that there were sections of very calm water surrounded by sections of very heavily rushing water over the rocks and boulders in the river.  At one point where the road to Cades Cove and road to Townsend intersect, the river current changes direction. It’s almost like the river’s world is crashing, yet there is a pool of calm water as the currents meet.  This reminded me that in our lives, we go through struggles.  It feels as though our world is crashing and then there is a calm that God provides to help us be refreshed and prepared for the next struggle.

“He restoreth my soul” – This whole weekend was a time of restoration for me.  I enjoyed the fellowship of friends from college, meeting friends from my son’s church in Michigan, and the fellowship of friends from church. Most of all, I received restoration as I was challenged by the messages in the songs so many of the groups sang:  songs that brought tears to my eyes, songs that made me want to jump for joy, songs that made me just want to fall on my knees and thank God for His goodness, mercy, and love.

“Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.  For thou art with me.” – One of the places where I like to pull off and just watch the rushing water is by a bridge over the Sinks waterfall.  There are warning signs for people to stay off the rocks due to many drownings. Some people ignore those signs. I have been at this stop when the water flow has been light, but I have also been there after a lot of rain and seen the raging water falling over the huge boulders. The force of the water is truly something to fear, yet just a little distance down the river is an area of calm, still water. If you look up from the water toward the mountain, you will see another beautiful waterfall. A beautiful picture of how God is with us amid the storms of life.

I trust this account of my journey is an encouragement to anyone who may be going through a difficult time. God’s creation teaches us so many precious lessons of His Sovereignty. Just remember that amid the raging river there is a calmness that only God can give.

Matthew 11:28 – “Come unto me, all ye who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”

--Bonnie King

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment