Sunday, August 8, 2021

Praise Him, too!

My favorite room in my house is my front porch!   I love to sit out there and just listen, to the birds and to the quiet.  A few days ago sitting out there I thought about the very first song I learned in Sunday school in Augusta, Kansas, when I was just four years old.

The birds up in the treetops sing their song,

        The angels swell the chorus all day long,

        The flowers in the garden lend their hue,

        So why shouldn't I, why shouldn't you praise Him too?

 
When Jesus entered Jerusalem on a donkey, some of the Pharisees in the crowd complained to Jesus about the crowds singing His praises.  In Luke 19:40 His answer is recorded, “I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.”  I remembered then that all creation praises God.

Isaiah 55:12 says, “For you will go out with joy and be led forth with peace; The mountains and hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands.”  When the wind blows I hear the trees clapping their hands.  In Job we are told that at creation the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy.  I love to think of the stars singing.  Other places tell us that the rivers clap their hands and the mountains sing together for joy (Psalm 98:8).  The field exults and the trees of the forest will sing for joy (Psalm 96:12).


The best passage about Creation rejoicing is Psalm 148.


Praise Him, all His hosts!

Praise Him, sun and moon; Praise Him, all stars of light!

Praise Him, highest heavens, And the waters that are above the heavens!

Let them praise the name of the Lord, For He commanded and they were created.

Praise the Lord from the earth, Sea monsters and all deeps;

Fire and hail, snow and clouds; Stormy wind, fulfilling His word;

Mountains and all hills; Fruit trees and all cedars;

Beasts and all cattle; Creeping things and winged fowl;


Kings of the earth and all peoples; Princes and all judges of the earth;

Both young men and virgins; Old men and children.

Let them praise the name of the Lord, for His name alone is exalted;

His glory is above earth and heaven.


I’m glad that last section is included, though I have to include myself, since old women are not mentioned.  All Creation rejoices Why shouldn’t we praise Him too?


St. Francis of Assisi wrote All Creatures of Our God and King with this same thought in mind.  

    Let all things their Creator bless,

            And worship Him in humbleness,

            O praise Him!  Alleluia! 

            Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son,

And praise the Spirit, three in One.

O praise Him, O praise Him! Alleluia!

Alleluia! Alleluia!


Will you praise Him too?





                        ~~Faith Himes Lamb


No comments:

Post a Comment