Sunday, June 20, 2021

Thankful

 

I know it’s June, but let’s talk about thanksgiving—that is, giving thanks. I’ve been learning the third chapter of Colossians, and right in the middle of this passage, Paul specifically mentions thankfulness no fewer than three times.

 This chapter of scripture is full of reasons to offer thanks, starting with the fact that we “have been raised up with Christ” and share in his life. We are told to set our minds and affections “on things above.”  I’m going to be honest: When I start thinking of things to thank God for, my mind goes right to earthly things—the beautiful outdoors I love so much, people in my life I enjoy knowing, good literature, pleasant music, food. The list could go on and on.

Likely, my list looks this way because I do have a good life with many loved ones. All my needs are met. This is not to say that I have no cares or worries, but my life is pretty good, and I am ever so grateful. But Paul here puts emphasis on gifts such as “the peace of God” and “the word of Christ.” These are intangibles, and they can be enjoyed by all of God’s children, not just the ones who live a privileged life like so many of us. 

 Christians all around the world are suffering. Many live in poverty or in war-torn regions. Their surroundings may not be beautiful, and they may be separated from their loved ones. They lack the leisure to enjoy reading and listening to music, and their food is limited. Can these people be thankful? Paul says they should be.

 I have a cousin who is very ill. While he has been in the hospital fighting for his life, his dad succumbed to cancer.  As far as I know, Marvin is yet unaware that his dad has died. But Cindy, Marvin’s wife, keeps expressing her thanks for every little blessing God sends her way. She could be angry and hurt (and probably, because she’s human, she does feel hurt at times), but she has seen and felt God’s peace in her life in these difficult days. With little else to hold on to, God’s love has been her anchor.

 I am amazed over and over at this phenomenon in the lives of Christians. All the pleasantness of earthly life falls away, and the beauty of our Savior shines through. I am not wishing for hardship, but I am happy to know that when it comes, God’s peace will be there, and his word will not fail. For this I am thankful.

--Sherry Poff

No comments:

Post a Comment