Sunday, May 9, 2021

Of Dry Skin and the Water of Life

 

One of the things I love about warm weather is the lighter clothes I get to wear. I so enjoy open-toed shoes and bare arms. But this spring—when it’s been warm enough to take off my sweater—I am dismayed by dry spots on my arms. I can take two approaches to this problem: I can smear on lotion and more lotion (which I do), or I can drink more water to hydrate my arms from the inside out (which I am trying to do). I will still need lotion, but I am convinced that my dry skin is largely a sign of not enough water.

Another sign of not enough water is frequent headaches. I don’t have these so much, but there was a time when this became an issue.  My oldest daughter started urging me to drink more water. Then a dear friend helped me by suggesting I figure the amount I need this way: Divide my weight in pounds by two and drink that many ounces a day. That’s quite an amount of water, but I am working on it.

A quick check on line at medicalwesthospital.org reveals the following signs of dehydration:

 

  • Dark urine
  • Feeling thirsty (fun fact: if you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated)
  • Bad breath
  • Muscle cramps and fatigue
  • Headaches
  • Dry skin
  • Low blood pressure
  • Decreased sweat production or clammy skin if you're exercising and should otherwise be sweating
  • Elevated cravings for sweet, sugary foods (one of the ways dehydration can lead to weight gain) 

 Yikes! Are you thirsty yet?

 The human body is roughly 60% water, and if we’re not taking it in, we are hurting ourselves. But the body isn’t everything, is it? It is, however, the way God has chosen to let us be here on earth, and the more we learn about our physical needs, the more we can appreciate what Jesus means to us, and Jesus says he is the Water of Life.

 Remember his conversation with the woman in Samaria? He told her he would give her living water (himself). Psalms 63 records David’s cry in the wilderness: “Oh God, thou art my God. Early will I seek thee. My soul thirsts for you; my flesh longs for you in a dry and thirsty land where no water is.” Likely David was in a physically dry place, and it emphasized to him his need for God, for Living Water.

 Revelation 22:17 says, “And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.” Jesus told the crowd in John 6, “He who believes in me shall never thirst” (6:35).

 If physical dehydration is damaging, think of what comes from spiritual dehydration. We need Jesus like our bodies need water. And the world around us needs Jesus. Modern man lives in a spiritual desert. We need to let God fill us with his Spirit and then take the Water to our friends and neighbors.

 Let’s do it this week.

--Sherry Poff

No comments:

Post a Comment