Sunday, March 15, 2020

Meditation on Psalm 4


In 2018, my goal was to fill a journal with verse-by-verse meditations on the Psalms. Guess what? In 2020, I am just getting back to it. Not that I didn’t read my Bible - I did - but my ONE YEAR BIBLE kept me going. SO...2020 is the year of my Psalms meditation...as far as I can go. J

Psalm 4:1a - “Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness...” As I thought about this, I do not believe this is a demand to God. It is a cry from my heart, a plea:
                   
“Oh, God, You know that I have accepted Your grace and that is the only way I can be righteous. Please hear my prayers, my heart cries, I send to you for my family, my friends, my health, my job...”

Psalm 4:1b - ESV says: You have given me relief when I was in distress.

I like the positive term used in the KJV: “Thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress...” How can God enlarge us through distress?? Have you been “planted” in a distressful place so you can grow? 


Of course, you can add much to this:
1. Your “scope” of life should be greater to see those who are in distress because you have suffered.
2. You should immediately have more empathy for those who need encouragement through your witness of God’s grace.
3. Your perspective on distress and trouble should be outwardly focused and positive because of verse 3...

Psalm 4:3 - “Know (have confidence) the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for Himself: The Lord will hear when I call unto Him.”
Vs. 4: Say “Wow!” - Be in “awe” of this righteous God who hears you.
 “When you are on your beds, search your hearts and be still.” Are you ever awake in the night, tossing and worrying? What is God saying to you in the night? Be still and listen.
Vs. 5 - As you are still, is He bringing to mind “sacrifices of righteousness” that you should offer for Him? Praise? Hospitality? Prayer? Love gifts? Your testimony? Then “trust in the Lord” that He will use these gifts.
Vs. 6, 7 -When we might envy the “increase” of others, remember that “the light of God’s countenance” will put gladness in your heart. His light helps us find our way through a dark world...and that will cause others to see His light in us.
Vs. 8 - The final promise: “I will both lie down in peace, and sleep,
for You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.” I can trust this righteous God, who never slumbers nor sleeps (Psalm 121:4), to care for me!

 --Maylou Holladay






No comments:

Post a Comment