Sunday, January 12, 2020

Unexpected


My girls and I are doing an online devotional called Unexpected.  That is the perfect description for the past year.  Elizabeth and Bill have been on a wild ride with foster children and the joys and trials of that.  John and Bill have both found their dream jobs and will be moving with their families across the country in opposite directions to follow that dream.  Sarah and Daniel have a new baby boy, Ruben Danger, and a new house that is still in the remodeling process before they can move it.  I have had some surprise physical issues that were certainly unexpected.

            Unexpected certainly has been the perfect word for my family this year, but I am just as sure that it would describe your journey.  In fact, it describes life for every individual on this planet.  Some of that unexpected is welcomed (our little Ruben) and some of it is not welcome at all (physical issues).

            For the last several years I have heard others say, “My word for the year is (fill in the blank).”  That has never been something that has appealed to me, but I find this year that I do have a word.  TRUST.  You see, I have some “expected” this year.  Some of those seem good and some not so good. I don’t know exactly how they will play out, but I know they are coming. And so it goes.  I consider even these to be “unexpected” in many ways.  I know that in addition there will be others that are truly unexpected.  Pile on those unexpected.

Perhaps the one who faced the most “unexpecteds” in Scripture was Job.  His immediate response to those is found in Job 2:10.   “Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?”  Notice the next words.  “In all this Job did not sin with his lips.”  My goal for the next year is to accept whatever comes my way as coming from God and therefore good.

Proverbs 3:5-6 is the first “trust” verse to come to mind for many of us.  “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.”  The first dictionary definition of “trust” is “reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing; confidence.”  The second is “confident expectation of something; hope.”  My trust is in Him, not my own understanding.

I have been singing much of today and this is the song.

            “”Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, Just to take Him at His Word,
            Just to rest upon His promise, Just to know, ‘Thus saith the Lord.’

            “I’m so glad I learned to trust Him, Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend,
            And I know that He is with me, will be with me to the end.

            “Yes, ‘tis sweet to trust in Jesus, Just from sin and self to cease.
            Just from Jesus simply taking Life and rest, and joy and peace.

            Jesus, Jesus, How I trust Him! How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er.
            Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus, Oh, for grace to trust Him more.”

            So sweet to trust Him.

                                                                        ~~Faith Himes Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment