Sunday, February 3, 2019

Learning to Walk!




            I am learning to walk!  Yes, I know a woman my age should already know how, should have learned decades ago, and I did know how.  I even taught thousands of students how to walk while teaching them how to be effective speakers from the moment they stood up until the moment they sat back down.  But since I had my knee replacement two months ago, walking has not been the same.  I have had to concentrate on every step.  I’m learning to walk again.
            And I’m reminded that we must concentrate on our spiritual walk.  There is a proper spiritual walk.
            When I was a young teen spending time with my grandmother in Murfreesboro, Gram would assign me a hymn for the week.  I was to learn how to play that song on the piano in “evangelistic style”—octave in the soprano with tenor and alto in the chord, octave in the bass.  It had to be done just right.
            One of the hymns she assigned me was “Footsteps of Jesus” by Mary B. C. Slade.  The last few days I have heard Him calling me through that song.

                        Sweetly, Lord, have we heard Thee calling, “Come, follow Me!”
                        And we see where Thy footprints falling lead us to Thee.

                        Though they lead o’er the cold dark mountains seeking His sheep,
                        Or along by Siloam’s fountains, helping the weak.
           
Sometimes we must follow where there is no one else to walk with us.  Sometimes we are in the public square with people surrounding us.

                        If they lead through the temple holy, preaching the Word,
                        Or in homes of the poor and lowly, serving the Lord.

            Sometimes we have a prominent role.  Other times we may be in quiet obscure places.

                        Then, at last, when on high He sees us, our journey done,
                        We will rest where the steps of Jesus end at His throne.

            Someday we will no longer be walking, but resting at His throne.

                        Footprints of Jesus that make the pathway glow.
                        We will follow the steps of Jesus where’er they go.
           
            In I Corinthians 11:1, Paul said, “Follow me, as I follow Christ.”  I cannot hear or think of that song without thinking of my grandmother and the example she gave me of walking in Jesus’ steps.  I want others to see such an example in me that they could follow Christ as they follow me.



                                                                        ~~Faith Himes Lamb



No comments:

Post a Comment