Sunday, December 16, 2018

Emotional Detox



The other day I met with one of the children on my caseload (I work at a children’s home). We’ll call him James. Before the meeting, I prayed for wisdom, because anger boils from within this child. We talked about how people feel angry when others have hurt them or if they’ve witnessed someone they love being hurt and how people sometimes don’t remember the hurt if they were too young.

James acknowledged some hurts in his life and had allowed bitterness to grow in his young heart He had decided he hated his circumstances and constantly ruminated on all that was wrong in his life. He could not think of one thing for which to be thankful. Not one thing. That, compounded with unforgiveness, had caused him to become emotionally toxic and volatile. And his poison spewed out on everyone around him.

James’ situation reminded me of a similar situation in my own life a few years back. I worked a job I hated. I was somewhere I didn’t want to be. A co-worker hated me and worked hard to make me miserable. I felt angry, exhausted, stressed, and hopeless. There seemed to be no way out of this circumstance. Unlike James, as an adult, I had coping skills. Before work each day, I sat in the parking garage praying for strength and a good attitude. The Lord listened as I complained about my co-worker and helped me forgive her. In a journal, I wrote five things for which I was grateful each day and tried to think positively. God gave me Scripture verses on which to lean. For six years I worked there, and it wasn’t easy. But God helped me.

God has given us two commandments that are for our emotional health: forgive and give thanks.

“For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” Matthew 6:14-15, NIV

“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.” Colossians 3:12-14, NIV

“Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else. Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” I Thessalonians 5:15-17, NIV (emphasis mine)

joyce hague

No comments:

Post a Comment