Monday, September 10, 2018

Numbering My Days


(This is me baring my soul.)

I've been reading slowly through the Psalms this summer--for a year, actually. Recently I sat in my back yard next to the blooming chives alive with bees and read Psalm 90. I find this psalm somewhat melancholy. Perhaps reading it in late summer intensifies the feeling of the brevity of life--the grass fading and flower withering. If I am promised seventy years--and that is the stated normal lifespan-- then I'm potentially in my last decade. My opportunities to watch the bees in the chives and the yellow butterflies on pink morning glories are quickly passing.

It's difficult for me to imagine I won't miss this when it's all over: the birds in the trees, late summer bugs chirring in the woods and fields, a blue jay's cry overhead. Somewhere a rooster crows, and soft summer sun falls through the branches of a maple on the back lawn.  I can hardly bear the beauty of it. 

Even as I grieve the passing of summer, the possibility for life and growth fading as the days get slowly darker, I am reminded to "sing for joy and be glad all [my] days" (14). Surely a God who can orchestrate such loveliness for a short season has an amazingly wonderful plan for eternity. His will for you and me is to love the life He has so graciously given. This, by God's grace, I will endeavor to do.

--Sherry Poff

No comments:

Post a Comment