Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Quest for Quiet


I need quiet. I’m not sure if I have a sensory issue or what, but too much noise makes me crazy! I simply cannot focus without silence. That makes my quiet time with the Lord a challenge. In addition, I enjoy spending time with the Lord outside my house, because inside my house, I’m distracted by all the things I need to do. So, where to go? Believe me, I’ve tried all kinds of places! Restaurants? Nope, blaring music and clashing dishes. Coffee shops? Nope, grinding and whirring and loud music. Green spaces appear attractive, but then there are weed eaters, people talking, construction work, and traffic! Gracious! “How about my porch?” you might suggest. We live by the train tracks! Sigh. I feel like the Grinch when he said, “Oh, the noise, noise, noise, noise!”

In my quest for quiet, I have discovered a few peaceful places though. I like to say my car is my prayer closet. Usually, there’s no beautiful scenery, but I can control the noise and the temperature. I try to find a shady or secluded spot, sometimes in a small park, but other times I have to settle for the corner of a parking lot. During the week, church parking lots are usually empty. My favorite is perched high on a hill. But even there, my own intrusive, distracting thoughts follow me. That’s when I jot down on paper things to do or think about later. That helps me let go of those things for the moment. I have to discipline myself to be still too. I may have to sit 5, 10, 15 minutes or more just stilling my busy heart.

And how can I talk with God as if He’s really there without solitude? (He is really there, you know.) Jesus felt the need to be alone with His Father too. “After sending them home, He went up into the hills by Himself to pray. Night fell while He was there alone.” (Matthew 14:23) He did this often. One day a man brought his demon-possessed son to Jesus. Jesus’ disciples had tried to cast the demons out but were unable to do so. So Jesus took care of it. Later, the disciples questioned Jesus about why they were unable to help this young man. “He replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer.”’ (Mark 9:29) Prayer closets are battlegrounds.

Depending on your stage of life, finding quiet and solitude might be a real struggle. Yet, we must seek it. It may be the most important thing on our to-do list. We need the Holy Spirit’s filling and strength to live a godly life and to carry out our calling.  He meets us where we are. Some days there will be more time than others, and that’s okay. Ask God how to fit quiet time into your life. He will show you, because He wants to spend time with you. He loves you.

“Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.”
Psalm 91:1

joyce hague



No comments:

Post a Comment