Sunday, May 27, 2018

The Highest Praise


As I sit down to write this post, I am aware that so many of my thoughts offered here center around our Sunday morning music. Today is another in that series. :)

I am sure that Pastor Fred is guided by the Spirit as he makes plans for our corporate worship. Whether he bows his head and forms a prayer or not, God is guiding him, I know.

Here's how I know: So many of the songs seem designed just for me. I'm not suggesting by any means that I am the most important person in the auditorium; rather, God's Spirit works among us--in all our spirits--to bring about the worship He is due.

Inasmuch as many of our songs are directed to God, they are really prayers. One recent example that stirred my soul has a chorus that says the following:

            You alone can rescue; You alone can save.
            You alone can lift us from the grave.

As we sang, the faces of loved ones who need God's rescue flashed across my mind, and the song became a prayer not only of worship but of supplication to God to rescue those I love. Then the next two lines:

            You came down to find us, led us out of death.
            To You alone belongs the highest praise!

I long for the day I get to see my dear ones praising God along with me because of His mercy and power in their lives.

Today's song service (May 27) couldn't have been better if I'd designed it myself! The praises directed to God for His blessing and love in the "desert place" and in "the wilderness" as well as when "the world's all as it should be" are powerful reminders that God has a plan, and that His plan is a good one. He is "the Everlasting God" Who does not faint or grow weary; we are all in His loving hands.

Even when tragedy hits or we can't really see any good thing happening, we trust Him, our King, and we sing praises to Him--and those praises are also prayers.

--Sherry Poff


No comments:

Post a Comment