Sunday, August 27, 2017

A Locket of Charms



Hearts, watering can, hummingbird, rose, teapot, chocolate bar, ice skate, snow globe, Madonna, Nativity, words like hope, love, Grandma, Mom—all charms to go in my necklace locket.  My daughter gave these to me, as well as many more.
            Last week for a beach getaway with my daughters the locket held a bright sun, a camera, a swimmer, a bare foot, a stack of books, and an ice cream cone.
            That vacation is over and we are back to the routine, so the charms have been changed again. Today I thought of what made up my life, what represented where I am in life.  So as I filled the locket once more, I pondered each charm.
            A cross is the first, the symbol of my salvation, my reason for living.  I have known the Lord for almost all of my life, but sometimes I am complacent.  Sometimes I get a little proud of what I can do, “But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.”  (Galatians 6:14)  For many years my goal has been to “know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death.”  (Philippians 3:10) So the cross must be paramount.
            The next charm is of a hand showing “I love you” in sign language.  I feel loved and I want to express love.  My Gram said many years ago, “Faith, what the world needs is love.  They need to know that Jesus loves them and that you love them because Jesus does.”  That means I want my children to see love, not criticism from me. It also means my neighbors must feel love from me, that the waitress must like to see me come in, that I must not be quick to insist on my interpretation of events in the world.  We live in a society that seems to encourage hate and rage, not love.  We must be different!  We must be the love of Jesus with skin on.
            The next charm shows a stack of books and says, “I love reading,” and I do!  I would rather read than watch television or do most other things.  I love reading silently and I love reading aloud to others.  Sometimes I even read aloud to myself.  There is reading material in every room of the house. There is a pile of books on the floor next to my bed.  I try to keep it under control, but those books multiply!  Right now my Bible is there, a book of hymn histories, a devotional book, fiction, decorating magazines, and even a Word Search.  I am consumed with curiosity and hate to ignore anything printed. Today I am struggling to stay alert because I stayed up last night reading until 1:00! I read for spiritual growth, for mental stimulation, and just for fun.  I want to keep my mind alert.
            The locket also contains a coffee cup.  Yes, I love my morning coffee, especially now that I’m retired and can sit on my front porch and watch the world wake up while I enjoy my coffee.  I no longer have to drink from a travel mug as I drive to work. Hurrah!  But that’s not what the coffee cup represents.  It represents fellowship, friendship, companionship.  A cup of coffee or hot tea shared is better than one sipped alone.  Ecclesiastes 4 says, “Two are better than one because they have a good reward for their labor.  For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.  But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up.” This year I have spent a lot of time alone.  I love my solitude, but only to a point.  I need people, and so do you!
            The final charm in the locket for this week is a beach ball!  You didn’t expect that one, did you?  It represents fun and enjoyment.  One of my life mottoes is “Be fun to live with.”  That was some of the best of the advice offered before I got married.  I think of it often.  I enjoy life and I am determined to make life rich and enjoyable for others. 
            Can you tell I love symbols?  These charms are my symbols. They help me identify what is important to me and they help keep me focused.  So many times I get distracted and frustrated because I forget what my priorities are and should be.  May I concentrate on making Christ first, learning to practice love, continuing to grow, sharing with other friends, and remembering to play, to enjoy living. 
What would go into your locket?  What are your priorities? What are the symbols to help you focus on the important things in life? You don’t have to have charms in a locket to remind you, but it helps.  Think about it, at least.

                                                            Faith Himes Lamb



No comments:

Post a Comment