Sunday, April 9, 2017

Gleanings from the Recent Armor of God Study

Thank you, Tina Holcombe and Laura Welsh, for providing us with the opportunity to participate in THE ARMOR OF GOD study with Priscilla Shirer. I am still amazed at the new insights I learned from Ephesians 6...a portion of Scripture that I had memorized when I was young.  Through the years, I have heard numerous Bible messages on these verses with the admonition to “put on the whole armor of God.” Priscilla Shirer did extensive research on the armor of the Roman soldier which she used to underscore the importance of our spiritual armor.

Just a few observations about these lessons that have impacted my heart:

 1. Verse 12: “Our struggle is not against flesh and blood.”
The devil is invisible but not fictional... BUT ONLY OUR GOD IS OMNIPRESENT, OMNISCIENT, AND ETERNAL! Wow! So encouraging...

2. Verse 14: “Stand firm, having girded your loins with TRUTH.”
Why did the warrior’s uniform start with the girdle? Why not the helmet? Why not the shield?
The girdle was the CORE SUPPORT for the soldier. This girdle gave support to the warrior while fighting in battle. Other parts of his armor had to be attached to the girdle to hold them in place.

TRUTH has to be our core support...the TRUTH OF GOD’S WORD.

Priscilla Shirer writes on page 63: “The belt, after all, marked them (Romans) as soldiers.  You, sister, should constantly and consistently be marked by the truth of your God...Without this prevailing standard, we’ll always be subject to falling for the enemy’s dangling carrots.”

3. Verse 17:  “Take...the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God.”

Priscilla Shirer explained that the word used for “sword” here describes the small, hidden weapon used in hand-to-hand combat by the Romans.  She reminds us that “The Sword of the Spirit is unique because it is the only offensive weapon...all others are defensive. Paul is telling us that to withstand the attacks from the enemy, we shouldn’t always take a defensive posture. ”

The Sword of the Spirit is not MY weapon...it is the Spirit’s weapon...the WORD OF GOD.
One of the most outstanding truths I took from these lessons is that when God gives me a Bible verse in my daily devotions, the Holy Spirit is giving me a “sword” to use either against the Devil who is trying to defeat me or a “sword” that I need to make me a better Christian that day. Just recently these “words” have been “swords” for me to carry with me:  Psalm 77:12: “I will meditate on all Your works...” or Proverbs 11:25: “...he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.”


Take the time to read Ephesians 6 again, study the book THE ARMOR OF GOD, and realize that the armor presented there should be our daily uniform.

--Maylou Holladay

No comments:

Post a Comment