Sunday, June 19, 2016

Thirsty for Kindness

When I come in from mowing the grass, I am sweaty, sticky, and oh so thirsty. I can’t get enough to drink. Has your soul ever felt parched like that?  Exhausted in mind, body, and spirit, and no one notices? You yearn for someone, anyone, to offer a word of encouragement, an expression of appreciation, or a compliment on a job well-done. The smallest act of kindness would be like cool water on a hot, thirsty tongue. But then nothing. You were left to go it alone – to keep on keeping on. It’s difficult to escape a desert of the heart.

I think I encountered someone who felt like this the other day. My daughter and I stepped into a restaurant close to the Riverbend Festival just for a snack. Our waiter met us with a vacant expression and as few words as possible. If we requested something, he would fetch it with nary a word and plop it on the table. He appeared sullen the entire time we sat there. I wondered at his attitude. Maybe he was working hard for little money. Maybe his girlfriend broke up with him. Maybe his grandmother died. Maybe his supervisor was a jerk. Maybe he didn’t have enough money to pay the rent. The possibilities were boundless, but clearly something was wrong.

When it came time to pay the bill, ours was only $3.00. That wouldn’t require much of a tip. He hadn’t been friendly, nor had he provided good service. I was tempted to tip accordingly. But when he asked how much change we needed, the Holy Spirit nudged me, and for once I paid attention. I had a ten-dollar bill. “I can see you’re working really hard with Riverbend and all. Just keep the change,” I said. The dramatic change in his demeanor surprised me. His hard expression melted, and his face lit up like a firefly. “Thanks. That’s very kind,” he said. That droplet of grace made such a difference!


Later, my eyes filled with tears whenever I replayed this scene in my mind. I had been in his place before – burdened, angry, defiant - but desperately needing kindness. I felt honored that God would use me to offer a cup of cool water to the thirsty. He filled my heart with joy too. I hope I never ignore the Holy Spirit’s nudge again!

Joyce Hague

P.S. Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

  1. I love it! The servers I know always leave a big tip. I guess they know the difference it makes!

    ReplyDelete