Friday, December 25, 2015

Thanks for Christmas!

We've been out looking at Christmas lights. We drove over to Camp Jordan in the drizzle and enjoyed the spectacle of lights and music that is there. I appreciate the causes they're collecting money for, so I'm glad we went, but my favorite thing is to drive by the homes and see the decorations individuals and families have put up for our enjoyment.
I like to think of all the people who worked--alone or with a helper--to string lights on the eaves of the house or along the porch rail. Some mild Saturday afternoon, they got out the stepladder, fluffed up the wreaths, straightened the bows, and beautified their homes in honor of the season.  In honor of Jesus.
I know that not everyone thinks of Jesus as they put up their lights and arrange the tree so that it can be seen through the window. But I do think it's the image of God in us that gives us generous impulses. His goodness is seen throughout the earth, and any goodness we have comes from Him.
So today I offer my thanks. Thanks to each one of you who worked hard to make things nice for the season. I have loved--loved!--seeing your lights and garlands and wreaths. Thanks most of all to God for giving us Jesus and for creating all the goodness in the world, goodness that endures in spite of all the horrific things that happen every day. Still people are baking, buying, and wishing one another joy.
"The earth is the Lord's and the fulness thereof." (Psalm 24:1)
Joy to the World!


--Sherry Poff

No comments:

Post a Comment