Monday, August 10, 2015

The Power of Story

Many years ago, when I was in college, I had a friend I'll call Lacy. My roommate--let's call her Patty--and I had been witnessing to Lacy for months.  While Lacy was a "good girl," she didn't have a personal relationship with Jesus, and she admitted that.  Then for a time after beginning to talk to Lacy about Jesus, I led a very hypocritical life.  I wasn't acting like a Christian, and Lacy knew it.  After getting right with God and breaking off a destructive relationship, I returned to church and Bible study regularly but never explained the situation to Lacy.

One night Patty, who had been faithful in her witness all along, suggested that I tell Lacy my story. So I did. That was the missing piece in her decision to trust Christ. Lacy needed to know that my lifestyle was not part of the Christian life, and she needed to hear me say that I had asked for and received forgiveness for my sin. It was our joy then for Patty and me to share the ups and downs of our Christian walk and to see Lacy grow in faith.

This is the power of story. I've heard it said a number of times recently that, because your story is your own experience, it's a powerful witnessing tool. Even people who want nothing to do with the Bible will often listen to a personal anecdote. They can't claim it isn't valid; it's your experience.

Think of the numerous times Jesus told a story to get the attention of the crowd. He knew what most teachers know: if you want people to remember a lesson, find a way to get them emotionally invested in it. Stories do this. They can be merely parables, or they can be true accounts of actual events.

Literature is a powerful medium because we learn so much about people and relationships from well-written stories. The power of friendship is illustrated beautifully in everything from Charlotte's Web to Huckleberry Finn. I am certain that reading Steinbeck has made me a more compassionate person. Some of his stories I will never forget.

On Sunday morning, we were challenged to share our story. I thought of some people who might need to hear the same thing I told Lacy all those years ago. I am praying about the right time and way to begin that conversation.  It won't be easy, but I am trusting God to lead me. Then I'll have yet another story to share!


--Sherry Poff

No comments:

Post a Comment