Monday, April 13, 2015

The Insanity of My Life!


Why did everyone planning a special event decide that the third week of April would be a good time to put that thing on the calendar?  I'm telling you, this week we have all kinds of choices! Deciding which fun things to take in will be the only problem.  At times like this, I begin to think maybe it would be better to be a hermit and never do anything--just eliminate the decision making.  But I know I'll have regrets if I do that---and I'll miss so much!

One thing that I don't want to miss this week is the beauty surrounding my life. Besides the richness of people and events, there is the physical beauty of the world. As I write this, I can see the sunset out my window. It is just stunning through the trees: a blanket of soft gray with the orange light of the setting sun showing through. And here's what that setting sun says to me day after day: God is faithful. I know it's a simple and oft-repeated sentiment, but it's one we shouldn't ignore.  God brings back the springtime every year. He keeps the world turning and the moon in place. He supervises the tides' coming in and going out. He can take care of you and me.

Last week I finished reading The Insanity of God by Nik Ripken. It's a remarkable account of God's faithfulness around the world, in places where serving him is a dangerous thing. As we were challenged to look for opportunities to witness this week, I thought of those believers across the globe who are faithful at the hazard of their lives. They can be this way because they have seen the faithfulness of God.

Here's what I Peter says: "Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world. And after you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen, and establish you" (5: 8-10). 

In the midst of my own "insanity" this week, I want to remember the "insanely" and remarkably faithful God I serve. Will you pray that I do it?  I'll pray for you, too.

--Sherry Poff


No comments:

Post a Comment