Monday, May 26, 2014

Hands Open Again!

Hands Open Again!


                In September of 2011, I wrote a blog post for Cup of Grace.  I entitled it “Hands Open!”  This one must be titled, “Hands Open Again!”  Somehow I forget what God has taught me and I must learn it over and over again.  So I come back to the lesson.  I cannot control my life or anyone else’s.  That is God’s job. 

This is what I wrote in 2011:

Over the years God has said it over and over again in many situations.  He is still saying it to me today.  “Acknowledge that you have no control over people or situations.  Relinquish them to Me.  Let Me do My job!”

            To remind me, I had my son-in-law take a picture of my hands, held out open to God.  So in my house you will see that picture.  In my office you will see that picture.  On my keychain you will see that picture.

            “See, God.  My mother is in my open hands, for You to do Your job.  My children are on my open hands, for You to do Your job.  My daughter-in-law and sons-in-law are on my open hands, for You to do Your job.  I surrender control of what is not mine to control.”

            What are you clutching in your hands?  What are you trying to control when it is not your job?  Hold out your hands before you, open flat.  Visualize it.  See the person or the situation.  Say aloud, “God, he/she/it is here on my open hands.  I will not clutch or grab.  I relax my grasp.  Do whatever you see best.”

            I sometimes raise my voice when I say it.  I sometimes cry when I say it.  But I say it.  Will you?
          Some things have changed.  God took Mother just a couple of weeks after I released her.  Other things are still issues.  And then there are new issues.
          A friend I have had for forty years has just had surgery for breast cancer.  It was very advanced.  The surgery was extensive and the future is uncertain.
          The son of another friend has been in a motorcycle accident.  He is on life support.  The future is uncertain.
          I have children who have chosen their own ways, not God’s way.  The future is uncertain.
          I am facing some physical issues that could be serious or could be minor.  The future is uncertain.
          I am struggling, I admit.  Again I must say, “God, my hands are open.  I will not clutch or grab.  I relax my grasp.  Do whatever you see best.”
          What do you need to release?  What do you need to hold out on your open hands?  God is in control.

                                                              Faith Himes Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment