Monday, November 19, 2012

THANKFUL FOR GRACE


Thanksgiving Day

by Lydia Maria Child/Adapted by Rebecca Phillips
Over the river and over the wood,
To Niece and Nephews' house I go;
The plane knows the way
To carry my things
Through the white and drifted snow.

Over the river and over the wood,
Oh, how the engines roar!
It jostles the head,
And puts to sleep my legs,
As over the ground we go.

Over the river and over the wood,
Fly fast, my 747 plane!
Soar over the ground,
Like a hunting hound,
For this is Thanksgiving-Day.

Over the river and over the wood,
And straight through the airport gate!
We seem to go
Extremely slow,
It is so hard to wait!

Over the river and over the wood;
Now Niece and Nephews' caps I spy!
Hurrah for the fun!
Is the pudding done?
Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!

I am so thankful for the opportunity to hug the necks and kiss the faces of my niece and nephews (my newest nephew for the first time) this Thanksgiving. Like the poet, I long for the times I can spend with my family and it seems the trip there is longer than the wait! Just thinking about the return trip causes me to choke back sobs and blink away tears, but then I think about the "family" I am coming back to. My tears dry and the sobs wane, because the family that I have away from home is precious. I am thankful for Grace!

~Rebecca Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment