Monday, April 9, 2012

Remembering

What a lovely Easter week we had!  I know the unusual warmth this year has made things bloom early, and there is a part of me that doesn’t want to enjoy it too much for fear it’s not going to last.  Still, by Easter, I find myself relaxing a little and loving the spring.  The dogwoods are my personal favorite, and they were absolutely magnificent this year!  Every chance I got, I stood by the one in my yard and just soaked up the beauty.  It is possible, I find, to store away beauty for future use. The poet John Keats had it right when he said, “A thing of beauty is a joy forever.”

Dogwoods are also a great reminder of the cross.  When I was a little girl, someone I have forgotten showed me the “blood stains” on each of the four petals—a reminder of the wounds of Jesus on the cross—and pointed out the spiky middle of the plant reminiscent of the crown of thorns. I like these reminders of truth that help me focus my thoughts on Christ in many different settings.

The reenactment that our deacons gave of the Passover meal Jesus shared with his disciples was also a great reminder.  We often think of the divinity of Christ, but this event pointed out his humanity as well.  The picture of friends sharing a meal reminded me that Jesus is glad to be called the friend of sinners.  In John 14, he says to the disciples, “You are my friends if you do whatsoever I command you.” 

Hebrews (NIV) says this: “Both the one who makes men holy and those who are made holy are of the same family. So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers.”   What a precious thought.  The living Jesus not only died and rose again for my justification, he is also willing to be associated with me, to acknowledge me as part of his family. I loved seeing our deacons laugh and talk and realizing that Jesus and his disciples had a similar relationship of learning and fellowship. The next time I’m around a table with dear friends or family members, I will recall that I am both a friend of Jesus and a member of his family.

What reminds you of our special relationship with Jesus?  Share your own thoughts in the comments area.

--Sherry Poff

1 comment:

  1. Sherry, one of my favorite symbols of God's sovereignty in my life is...you'll never guess...the beach! Besides the sheer joy of being in the sun, sand and water, I've had four very significant God-moments at the beach. They were so special and intimate. The ocean reminds me that there are depths unknown to the God we call Father, Savior and Friend. Yet, He is the constant tide that washes our shore.

    ReplyDelete