Monday, January 9, 2012

God's Handiwork

"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament shows His handiwork." So says David in Psalm 19.

The heavens aren't the only thing that declare the glory of God. As I sat in church on Sunday morning, listening to the pastor talk about creation, I enjoyed the beautiful flowers on the communion table. I know these aren't real flowers, but they are fairly realistic copies of real ones----and what a variety of flowers there are in the world. In this one arrangement, there were large ivory blooms (magnolia, I believe), middle-sized blooms with layers of petals (both yellow and off-white), and delicate baby's breath-type blossoms. This list represents just a fraction of all the flowers available.

For Christmas, one of my daughters gave me a gift card from Burpee. The catalog that comes with it is stunning. A plant lover like me can look for hours and dream. The myriad of fruits, vegetables, and flowers to be had is remarkable. I realize that many of these varieties were developed by people, but the basic structure and the magnificent color comes from God.

How long has it been since you examined the intricacies and brilliant colors in bugs? How about equally beautiful spider webs? At this time of year, it's easy to see the lacy branches of the trees against the sky, and when there's a gorgeous sunset behind them----Wow.

Robert Louis Stevenson was right---"The world is so full of a number of things,/ I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings."

I'm glad the pastor is focusing on creation for a while. There is so much evidence in the physical world of order, design, and planning. I know it's cliche to say it, but I don't know how anyone can look at nature and deny God. The birds outside my window on any given winter day are a delightful testimony of God's creative nature, and the beauty of birds, flowers, bugs, and sunsets says to me that God enjoys loveliness.

Let's enjoy it too.

--Sherry Poff


No comments:

Post a Comment