Monday, August 15, 2011

Gift of Influence


We women have the gift of influence in the lives of our friends, co-workers, husbands and children. When we touch lives through the ministry God has called us to, we have the opportunity to influence. This influence can bless or it can curse and it is used with ease and sometimes no forethought.  Let’s look at two very different scenarios in God’s Word where influence played huge roles in the lives of the Jewish people.

Esther was chosen to be queen from among all the women brought before King Ahasuerus.  Mordecai, the uncle who raised her, realized she would have great influence on the king during the time plans were being made to destroy the Jewish people in all of the provinces. He knew she attained royalty for such a time as this. He was correct as scripture states in Esther 8, the king granted the Jews who were in each and every city the right to assemble and to defend their lives just as Esther had asked. Esther was a blessing to her people because of her influence.


Paul and Barnabas spoke the truth boldly among the Jews and the Gentiles as we see in Acts 13-14. When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord and the word of the Lord was being spread through the whole region. But the Jews aroused the devout women of prominence and instigated a persecution against Paul and Barnabas. The Jews were filled with jealousy and began contradicting the things that were spoken. It stirred up the minds of the people and embittered them against the believers. These Jews were a curse to their people because of their influence.


Romans 12:1-3 says, “I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. For through the grace given to me I say to every man among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think, but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.”


I am humbled by the gift of influence God has given me.  I can bring many instances to mind where I would like a do over on words I have spoken and actions I have taken that misused that gift.  I want to bless and not curse those around me. I want to renew my mind daily by yielding to the Holy Spirit’s direction in my life.  Pray for me and I will pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment